I feel like I’ve been posting a lot of squash lately, but the CSA basket has been keeping me well stocked, so here comes some more!
I was looking for something tasty and a little fancy to do for our nice-ish dinners in last Saturday night. I didn’t want to do the Butternut Squash Ravioli again, so I started brainstorming and decided to stuff it. I stumbled across this recipe from Naturally Ella (a new favorite read) and knew it would be easy to veganize. And it was:
- Using a medium squash instead of a large
- Subbing scallions for the shallots
- Adding a minced hot pepper and two cloves of minced garlic
- Reducing the quinoa to 1/4ish cup and the water to about 1/2 cup
- Subbing nutritional yeast for the cheese
- Adding a handful of chopped raw pecans to the top of the stuffed squash
Otherwise I followed her method. The result was incredibly tasty and more filling than I expected, which was a good thing! We served the squash alongside some sauteed bitter greens and a bottle of Balletto 2011 Pinot Noir.
Are you sick of my butternut squash recipes yet? I hope not! I have one more coming your way already, plus an uncooked squash chillin’ in my kitchen.