First off, I must direct you to this post. It’s been updated because an entrant sent her stuff on time, but it went to my spam filter. Yikes! I feel terrible and wanted to make sure to put her submission on the blog. Sorry again, Liz! Also, I updated the rules on my week #4 contest. Nothing dramatic, but it should help to avoid the same thing happening again.
I meant to have my shizz together to do a vegan Thanksgiving idea post. However, I have never prepared or eaten a totally vegan Thanksgiving, so it would be disingenuous. Plus, as I said, I didn’t get my shizz together.
So, instead, I present to you my half-arsed list of three things I’ve made on this blog that one could consume at Thanksgiving:
Vegan Cornbread (make it into muffins or something)
Riso all’autunno (It’s autumnal!)
Chocolate Gingerbread (I will be making this)
Injury update: My ankle continues to heal, though the pride I lost from being damaged by a 9-pound dog lingers. She remains unfazed by the stream of expletives I hurled in her direction. My boss called me Gimpy.
And here are a few random thoughts, because it’s a short work week and I’m still having trouble getting through it:
- Possibly you can blame Gen X radio, but I’m really into bumping tunes that were popular when I was in high school lately. Current obsession is Aaliyah’s “Tell Me You’re That Somebody.” You know, ‘cause sometimes I’m goody goody, but right now I’m naughty naughty. (Notty.) (Knotty?)
- OK, I don’t “bump” tunes. I don’t like loud music. I’m 100. Even in college, my roomie and I kept our music so quiet that people would be in our dorm room five minutes before they realized we were playing anything. I’m not kidding.
- I am making butternut squash for dinner. I really, really hate chopping raw winter squash. Neither I nor my IKEA knives are strong enough. I may bake it for a little bit first.
- Last night, one of those subscription cards fell out of my new copy of ReadyMade magazine. My taller half decided to bite into it. (?) It took about 10 seconds of pulling before he freed a piece. Then he declared, “I’ve eaten paper before – you can quote me on that – but that tasted like dog.”
- Tea has brought several of my coworkers and me closer together. It started with a four-way tea break last week when we were unsupervised and has graduated into a leaf-swapping love fest. I may have found a solution to world peace. You’re welcome.
- I made a carrot salad last night that took me approximately 10 times longer to prepare than to eat. It was still tasty, though. I blame my migraine brain. It makes me slothlike.
Carrot and Cilantro Salad (from Madhur Jaffrey’s World Vegetarian)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon (or 2) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Boil water in a small or medium saucepan. Drop the carrots in the water for 10 seconds and then drain. Put them in a bowl and add all the other ingredients on top. Toss. Makes one serving.
It took 10 million years before of the carrot chopping. Next time, I may just throw them in the blender for a few seconds. ‘Twas tasty, though.